As the parent of a Clarke County School District graduate, I’ve been proud of our schools ever since our son Evan enrolled at Barnett Shoals Elementary School back in 2001. Evan’s teachers challenged and inspired him all the way through Cedar Shoals High School (CSHS), and all the way into college at UGA.
We’ve heard a lot of negativity lately about our neighborhood’s schools. More generally, I feel like when I read something positive about schools in and around Athens, it isn’t about the schools on the eastside. But we have a lot to be proud about, too, and so I thought I’d pay tribute here to just a few of the graduates of CSHS who have made us “proud to be CCSD.” This baker’s dozen includes educators and researchers as well as athletes and performers, because there is no single measure of success for our children (a fact forgotten by the standardized-test bean-counters):
- Alvin Sheats, Class of 1977, former Athens-Clarke County Commissioner
- Amp Arnold, Class of 1977, member of UGA’s national championship football team
- Homer Jordan, Class of 1979, quarterback on Clemson’s national championship football team and later a coach as CSHS
- Greg Huberty, Class of 1985, award-winning math teacher at CSHS as well as a coach
- Bryant Gantt, Class of 1986, lawyer and program coordinator for UGA football, recipient of 2012 Liberty Bell Award from the Western Circuit Bar Association
- Marieo Foster, Class of 1991, chief of police for the University of the District of Columbia
- Tituss Burgess, Class of 1997, Broadway and TV actor
- James Ponsoldt, Class of 1997, film director: “The Spectacular Now,” “The End of the Tour”
- Quentin Moses, Class of 2003, NFL linebacker and coach at Reinhardt University
- Boris Alexeev, Class of 2004, Ph.D. in mathematics from Princeton and co-organizer of high-school math tournaments at UGA for over a decade
- Clara Starkweather, Class of 2009, currently MD/PhD Candidate at Harvard Medical School after being named a Goldwater Scholar at Duke University
- DeDe Lattimore, Class of 2010, linebacker in the Canadian Football League
- Erin Hollander, Class of 2013, Foundation Fellow and Goldwater Scholar, UGA
That’s plenty of reason to be proud of CCSD, and of CSHS, and of our district. And it’s just a start. Feel free to comment and add more names to this list!